Industries in MehsanaThe strategic location of Mehsana and its infrastructural profile has led to its unprecedented industrial growth in the past few years. The district has nine talukas which are all contributing to this development. It has fertile land and major portion of land under cultivation. This has given boost to agriculture and Agri based industries in Mehsana. Though, the district also has many other leading large scale industries functioning here.
The rich mineral deposits of this district have contributed to the mineral based industries in Mehsana while it is also the largest producer of road equipments in the country. It has received complete infrastructural support from state government agencies for this growth. Its industrial areas are facilitated with all amenities required for smooth running of its numerous small to large scale industries. Also, the largest market yard, Unjha is located in Mehsana district itself.
Types of Industries in MehsanaThe main types of industries present in this district include:
- Agro based industries
- Soda water
- Wooden based
- Paper products
- Cotton Textiles
- Mineral Based
- Rubber, plastic based
- Leather based
- Readymade garments
- Engineering units
- Road equipments
- Electrical Machinery
- Steel industry
- Dairy based
- Chemical based industries
Medium Scale and Large Scale Industries in MehsanaMehsana has around 70 medium and large scale industries in Mehsana district. These industries are basically situated in Mehsana, Kadi, Vijapur, Becharaji, and Vishnagar. These units are involved in the products like pharmaceuticals, synthetic fibers, refined edible oil, road construction, food products, tiles, chemicals, soaps, detergents, etc. Major Industrial Units in Mehsana are:
Vimal Oil and Foods LimitedThis is a large company engaged in products like edible oils, dairy products, paints, polymers, engineering goods, ceramic products, solar panels, and electrical products. With its public listed flagship company, Vimal Oil and Foods Limted, the group crossed revenues of Rs. 1500 crores. All its companies are well established in the Mehsana district and have huge capacity for increased production. Vimal Dairy Limited has capacity of 2 lakh litres milk per day in its plant manufacturing milk, ghee, butter, milk powder, cheese, and butter milk. Vimal Oil and Foods Limited is a fully integrated plant with annual turnover of Rs. 2000 crores.
Nirma LimitedThe leading player of detergent market in India has its soap and detergent manufacturing unit at Mehsana for products like detergents, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, and Sulphuric acid. It is one of the largest manufacturers of detergents in India and has 38% of total market share. The soap manufacturing unit of Nirma produces 4 lines of 500 soaps in a minute. It enjoys market share of 20% in soaps manufactured in plant having initial investment of Rs. 200 crores.
McCain Foods LimitedMcCain Foods is a leading Canadian frozen foods company and it has a huge potato processing unit in Mehsana. It has a wide range of potato products offered in Indian markets through this plant. This plant works with contract farmers of Gujarat for increasing the area under cultivation of potatoes. The company recently made an investment of $69 in this Mehsana unit to cater the growing demand of its products in Indian markets.
Dudhsagar DairyThis largest dairy of India and second largest dairy product manufacturer in Asia was set up in Mehsana around 50 years back. It is a cooperative union which is owned by more than 5 lakh dairy farmers and processes 1.4 million litres of milk per day. It has three cattle feed plants in Mehsana and these plants have total capacity of 1900 metric tonnes per day. Apart from this, Dudhsagar Dairy has 5 chilling plants and 4 milk powder plants as well with capacity of 24 metric tonnes per day.
Other Large and Medium Scale Industries in Mehsana are
- Apollo Engineering
- Cadila Hospital Products limited
- Apco Industries
- Gujarat Ambuja Exports Limited
- Torrent pharmaceuticals
Small Scale Industries in MehsanaMehsana has around 7183 small scale industries established across the district for products like textiles, chemicals, metals, repairing services, rubber and plastic products, agro processing, and engineering goods. These small scale industries are mostly concentrated in areas including Mehsana, Kadi, Vishnagar, and Vijapur Talukas. While number of textile units in district is around 1221, it is 2406 units for repairing services. Mehsana district has 5.39% of total SSIs in Gujarat. New MSMEs in Mehsana district have opportunities in sectors like:
Agri based industries- Cotton ginning & processing, cattle feed, poultry farm, cotton seed, absorbent cotton, surgical cotton, groundnut farming, etc.
Live Stock based industries- They include cattle, poultry, leather products, dairy, bone meal, sports goods, etc.
Mineral based industries- Include cement, stone crushing, ceramics, building material, sanitary wares, etc.
Engineering based industries- These include tube tires, agriculture implements, auto repairing parts, ball bearing, service stations, brass parts, etc.
Chemical based industries- They include dyes & dyes intermediates, paints, fertilizers, pesticides, varnish, sodium silicate, etc.
Mineral Based Industries in Mehsana
The district is rich in minerals including China clay, limestone, building materials, granite, and fire clay. The taluka of Vijapur churns out 29% of total china clay in state. Mehsana taluka has rich reserves of oil and natural gas due to which ONGC has established its major oil producing asset here at Mehsana.
Out of total granite production, 97% is produced in Mehsana district itself. Mineral based industries of Mehsana manufacture products like vitrified and glazed tiles, micronizing, granite cutting, silica sand cutting, and lavigation of China Clay and Fire Clay. Visnagar taluka of Mehsana has rich reserves of lignite and coal as well.
Major Economic Drivers for Industries in Mehsana
- Large availability of land and agriculture friendly land
- There are major clusters of edible oil, cotton ginning, and ceramics in parts of Mehsana district
- Dedicated Freight Corridor is located nearby the Palanpur-Sidhpur-Mehsana area
- Proposed Logistics park by GIDC
- Growth of pharmaceutical and plastic sectors, rising of cement, gypsum, transportation, and telecommunication sectors in Mehsana district
- Major investments proposed in oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, civil aviation sectors
Industrial Estates in MehsanaThere are eight industrial estates in Mehsana district. These estates include Kheralu, Mehsana I, Mehsana II, Visnagar, Ranasan, Kukarwada, Kadi, and Gozaria. There are plans to set up industrial cluster in Mehsana with components that will include augmentation of industrial estates, feeder road links, and integrated township.
Support and State Aid for Industries in Mehsana
- The district has excellent road network having 51 km long four lane toll road on Ahmedabad- Mehsana route.
- It is well connected through railways with major districts of Ahmedabad, Porbandar, Patan, Gandhidham, and Kandla Port
- The district has 32 sub stations with capacity of 66 KV, 2 substations of 220 KV, and 1 substation with capacity of 132 KV.
- Gas pipeline of length 34 km is laid in Mehsana from Kalol along with a proposed gas grid for industrial corridor of Mehsana- Palanpur
- There are six branch canals that provide water for drinking and industrial purposes in Mehsana. These include water from Sardar Sarovar project as well as canals of Sanand, Bolera, Saurashtra, Viramgam I & II, and Jhinjhuvada.
- There is a proposed Biotechnology zone by state government. This will be envisaged as Agri Biotechnology Park in Mehsana
- There is also one proposed industrial park for engineering sector in this district
- There is District Industries Centre in Mehsana for providing support to the industries here. Registration certificates to these units are given by DIC
Apart from this, other government agencies supporting the industries in Mehsana are:
- GIDC that provide industrial land and shed
- Major nationalized, cooperative banks, NABARD for financial assistance
- NSIC for plant, machinery, and raw materials procurement as well as marketing assistance
- Gujarat Electricity Board for electric supply